Action Packed Plett Life

Welcome to a day in the lives of our little Plett family...


Another weekend come and gone, and again, no photos to show for it. I guess I haven't taken many pics lately, because things around the house and yard are in that ugly, early Spring stage. There are thundershowers predicted for tomorrow, which I'm totally excited about! I love the first thundershower - and it cleans everything up so beautifully. I may take more pics after that - especially once the daffodils and tulips start to bloom. We were really blessed today with our weather - a lovely +18, with a predicted high of +20. My brother came biking to town in shorts, but he is a little braver than most. The wind still carries the cool air from the thawing ground.

There are definately some areas nearby that are experiencing flooding right now. I went on a scenic drive with my parents and brother on Sunday, and South of here towards the U.S. border. Some roads and highways are closed. One of the North bound lanes on the 75 was blocked off near St. Jean, with water lapping over the sides of the shoulder. Crazy! The water may go up as much as another 3 feet. The main highway out of Winnipeg is closed, with local access only. Thankfully here in town our floodway is doing it's job, and we have little to worry about, even with the river through our property.

On our drive we stopped in at an old antique shop in Emerson. There are lots of treasures there, with the classic Depression glass, to the hundreds of troll key chains. I did find a beautiful old rocking chair, in great shape. I seriously considered bringing it home, but Ryan felt that it may not be "structurally sound" enough for him to make use of. So, we'll wait on buying a rocking chair - and find one that works for him. The only other items of interest were some ancient looking toys, and a lovely chest of drawers - but the drawers hardly opened due to water damamge. I forgot my camera on this particular trip - hence the lack of photos.

The cats have been loving the warmer weather, and DJ has been experiencing the joy of all the birds having returned from the South. She has made it her daily routine to bring a live bird into our porch, chase it around a while and then devour it - leaving behind a fury of feathers for our clean-up enjoyment. Have you ever tried sweeping up feathers? A virtually impossible task. Very frustrating. But she is so proud of herself - and she feels she is slowly ridding the world of pesky chirping one bird at a time. On Friday we saw her half way up a tree after a woodpecker. Good luck DJ.

For the most part our yard upstood another winter fairly well. This year was milder, so the deer left our cedars alone. There is a lot of rabbit poo around though, but a good thundershower will help to take care of that. Ryan spent a good part of Saturday afternoon out in the sun, cleaning out the garage, collecting garbage out of the trees and sweeping off the driveway. What an improvement! It looks so nice! I can't wait to get out there into the dirt and start planting. I am hoping to plant a tree for Baby Plett this summer, and get my mom (Mrs. Green Thumb) to help me with a landscape plan for around the perimeter of the house. I thought I could do it alone, but I lack her vision for plants and perennials. And my green thumb must have fallen off in the womb.

3 Responses to “”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    5 paragraphs and not a single picture?

    Come on, show me some Canadian spring thaw!  

  2. # Blogger Heather

    I know, I know. It is somewhat of a tragedy. I mean who wants to read a story with no pictures?!  

  3. # Blogger Janelle

    you have DEER & RABBITS in your yard?? i soooo need to move there! we are experiencing the ugly spring too - i live in a mud pit - yuck.
    i love the idea of a tree for baby Plett...i hope to come see it soon.
    love ya!  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog


The WeatherPixie Website Counter
Free Site Counter XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Action Packed Plett Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health