Action Packed Plett Life

Welcome to a day in the lives of our little Plett family...


Another point goes on the board for "Why Not To Live in a Small Town"! Maybe I have a slight chip on my shoulder, but really, this one takes the cake...

We had supper last night with my parents, and my in-laws. Sometime during supper, my mother-in-law leaned over and said, "Heather, you will never guess what I heard the other day". Of course, I couldn't guess.

"I heard that you and Ryan are expecting..."

This would be sort of funny, if she hadn't continued with "... from a nurse at the (local) hospital".

Really. No, no REALLY?! I could not believe it. I've gone in for two blood tests over the last two months because of this virus issue I've been having. I suppose this nurse must have seen my charts, or something, and assumed that two blood tests in a row could only mean that I was pregnant. But, the odacity to even say anything about that assumption to a family member? Wow, that takes balls. Seriously, nothing here is sacred. Not even the announcement that you may be expecting!

Thankfully my mother-in-law took this news as gossip, and didn't bat an eye. She simply informed the nurse that this was, in fact, news to her... to which the nurse responded with some story that this information had come from friends. Wow, either I've started to look pregnant, or everyone is so eager for us to have babies that they are starting to convince themselves that we ARE!

In a couple of days I may have a sense of humour about this, but for now I am steaming. Oh, and by the way, I do not believe that I am pregnant, but all of this may mean that I have to call the hospital to find out - before they tell too many more people.

5 Responses to “”

  1. # Blogger Tannis

    Ah, sorry to laugh at your expense, but that's probably why you posted that. People never give up, do they? First they try to predict engagements, then babies (particulary if you've invested in a house), then next more babies (will there be more?! are they done?!) then perhaps the onset of senility? I don't know. Funny thing is that those same people that speculated about pregnancy in your incident will keep speculating until one day it might come true and then they can brag that they knew all along. Brings back memories of Dr. X in Morris being assured of my pregnancy years before it was a physical possibility.  

  2. # Blogger Heather

    Tannis - yes, I did post this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time somewhat seriously too. Having grown up around here, I'm sure you know what it's all about. I'm usually one to just shrug off some of the "news" that gets around like that, but this one just blew me away. I'm not surprised at all that people are already speculating about Ryan and I being pregnant, but I was surpised that the info came from a NURSE!  

  3. # Blogger Erin

    That would have really irritated me. So much for medical confidentiality! What if you were trying to surprise your inlaws?  

  4. # Blogger Lindsay

    I'm totally laughing at your expense.

    I'm still in the 'when are you going to get married' phase of the irrational small-town/family questioning. It's so funny to me that people think it's their business.

    Actually, it's not funny to me when people think MY business is their business - just when it happens to other people.

    L

    PS - So when are you thinking of starting a family? :P  

  5. # Blogger Heather

    Haha, very funny Linds! I will let you laugh at my expense, just this once. Honestly, I think the "when are you getting married" question bothered me more than "when are you having kids". I like that people think Ryan and I should have kids. It assures me that people don't think we are ugly, or insane. However, when they start saying we ARE when we're NOT, that's a PROBLEM. It seems it was a contained rumour though, and I haven't heard it from anyone else yet.  

Post a Comment


Web This Blog


The WeatherPixie Website Counter
Free Site Counter XML

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates



© 2006 Action Packed Plett Life | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health